Left an orphan at the age of seven, she received her training in a Shelburne family. The writer remembers her as a person of remarkable beauty and geniality; a sweet singer, and devoted Christian; married Denison Green of Bernardston, b. 1825. They went West in 1856 and the following description of their experience as pioneers is given by their son. "Denison W. Green and his wife and child left Bernardston, Mass., in 1856, to seek a home in the then far West going as far as Dane Co., Wisconsin, where they remained till the fall of 1860. Land was high in that part of the country, and hearing of the beautiful climate of Minnesota with its free lands, he emigrated from Albion, Wis., to Minnesota, arriving at the town of Bethel, now known as Linwood, Anoka County, about the middle of October of that year. At that time not a foot of railroad was built in that state, and the journey was made with horses and a covered wagon, the outfit being owned by a man in Bethel, who had purchased them in Wisconsin where we lived, and engaged him to bring us through. Our whole earthly possessions consisted of a few household goods and one cow which we drove along, but died a few weeks after our arrival. This, with a hard winter before us was not very cheering, and at this time our finances in the way of cash amounted to $1.25. We managed to get into an old log house, situated upon the banks of a beautiful lake, where a few acres had been opened up, which upon the following spring we proceeded to plant. The house contained two rooms, one below and one up stairs. I will not mention the experience we had in getting it in suitable shape to move into, but in due time we moved in and commenced housekeeping with such as we had, but our furniture was mostly home made. Tamarack was the wood used mostly in this line for bedsteads, tables, and stools, but our first table was made from the boards of a box of goods that we had shipped by steamboat to St. Paul, and was quite an elaborate affair as it had leaves.
As the country was sparsely settled and every one without means, no work was to be had to speak of, but fur animals were plentiful and father trapped them, and the money obtained from them, and with the wild game abounding in the woods we lived very well, but did not put on much style. During the summer and autumn of 1861, father obtained work and so got another cow, working fifty days for her. The winter passed about the same as the one before. In August, 1862, we were warned that the Sioux Indians were upon us, and we turned out our cow to shift for herself, and with the whole neighborhood fled to St. Paul, by ox team, traveling night and day to reach a place of safety. There we remained two weeks, until the Indians were driven back, but not until they had plundered a large tract of country and murdered many hundred people. We then returned to our home to commence over again, having spent what little money we had during our stay in St. Paul. A little later father took up a homestead consisting of 160 acres, one mile from our first location, and in the spring of 1863 we built a log house and a stable and moved into it to commence anew, we having sold out for a trifle what improvements we had made in our former location. Upon this farm we toiled as best we could with little means to work with, other than our hands, but after many years we had opened up a beautiful farm, and it was then that mother passed away. No one who has not passed through the experience can imagine the hardships that the pioneer has to pass through and undergo, in order to open up the beautiful West. Our nearest point of trade was forty miles, taking four days to make the trip with an ox team. Volumes could be written upon the subject (Severance, B. Frank. Genealogy and biography of the descendants of Walter Stewart of Scotland and of John Stewart who came to America in 1718 and settled in Londonderry, N.H. Greenfield, Mass. : T. Morey & Son, 1905, pg. 69, 134-138).