Samuel was a soldier in the Revolution and tradition says he was at one time taken prisoner in that war. His name first appears on a muster roll in Capt. Hugh McClellan's Co., Col. Samuel William's Regt. which marched for Boston on the Lexington Alarm; re-enlisted while there, May 1, 1775, in Capt. Robert Oliver's Co., Col. Ephraim Dolittle's Regt.; served eight months, his name appearing on a company returned of the above regiment dated Winter Hill, Oct. 6, 1775; his name also appearing among the signatures to an order for bounty coat or its equivalent in money due for eight month's service in 1775 in the above company and regiment dated Winter Hill Dec. 23, 1775. From Hemenway's Vermont Historical Gazetteer we find he fought at Bunker Hill, went with Arnold in his detachment that penetrated the wilderness by the way of Kennebec River. Charles Knowles Bolton in speaking of that expedition in "The Private Soldier under Washington" says: "The men many a night lay down without food. Several became very weak from hunger, and at last a captain gave them his pet dog. The soldiers carried the poor creature and ate every part of his flesh, not excepting his entrails. Two other dogs were eaten the same day. When exposure and hunger had prepared the way, a fourth or a third of the men in some of the regiments died of smallpox. A day's march was as little as ten miles." After the assault on Quebec and the fall of Montgomery, his term of service having expired, he returned home. (The old-tinder box which he carried at Quebec is a valued relic in the possession of his descendants). February 23, 1777, he enlisted with the rank of sergeant in Capt. Lawrence Kemp's Co., Col. Leonard's Regt. for service at Ticonderoga; discharged April 10, 1777. He removed from Colrain to Salem, N.Y., from there to Whitehall, and from there to Bristol, Vt., where he continued to reside until 1816. He was one of the first board of selectmen at Bristol, and was a bold and resolute man. In the fall of 1816 he set out to seek a better fortune in Ohio, locating at Royalton in that state. He was among the earliest applicants for a pension but passed away before receiving it. He was buried with military honors in recognition of his Revolutionary service (Severance, B. Frank. Genealogy and biography of the descendants of Walter Stewart of Scotland and of John Stewart who came to America in 1718 and settled in Londonderry, N.H. Greenfield, Mass. : T. Morey & Son, 1905, pg. 82-86).